Tuesday, October 30, 2007

While reading these articles, I was able to think back to my own childhood and reflect on my own gender identity. I was not the typical girl growing up. I had an older brother and I think that had a lot to do with it. First, I hated playing with Barbies. I remember on my fourth birthday one of my friends gave me Barbies, and I immediately cut the hair to a short haircut. I didn't like having those Barbies! Also, my mom dressed me in my brother's "hand me down" clothes, so I was always mistaken for a boy. I had a short hair cut and I commonly wore navy blue and green. My mom still laughs when she tells me about people saying hello to me in the supermarket by saying, "Hey Buddy." I think I can attribute this to my mother being sort of a tom boy growing up and also having an older brother. My mom played many sports and did not take on the traditional female role. My mother was always out on the lawn mower, gardening, and playing soccer with us in our yard.

1 comment:

Tory L said...

Ashley,

How awesome is that!

I am remembering a photo of my nephew, Jack, when he was about 2-3 yrs old. He is wearing this outfit that looks like a dress. His Dad always says, "oh, look at Jack in his summer dress" Its funny but at the same time, he doesn't destroy the pic or hide it.
This same nephew loooves playing dress up with his grandmother's clothes and his mother's old cheerleading outfits. Its hysterical... in one picture he even did 'spirit fingers'

Props to your tomboy mother. She sets a great example.