Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Response to 6

I think we can all agree that whether or not we mean to, we are socializing our students towards certain genders. We absolutely have different expectations for certain genders, and gear them towards certain opportunities. I also notice myself disciplining students in different way sometimes, which I know needs to be reflected on and changed. What makes us feel this way and where are we learning to act on these stereotypes? Why do we give a male some supplies and expect that they will be interested in constructing something, and give a girl a blank piece of paper and expect her to like to draw something pretty? Seems so interesting to me.

1 comment:

Lisa.Rudolph said...

I agree with you 100%. I think that the male and female stereotypes are so prominent everywhere, in school, society, the business world, homes, pop culture, etc. that it is difficult for us to not see them as normal. Although we may not agree with them, I think it has just become a sort of natural thing that the boys want the blue rulers and to play with the legos to construct something while the girls want the pink rulers and to play house.

In order to start to overcome this I think that we need to be more aware of the roles we are placing students in because of their genders and if we can notice it before we actually do it maybe we can show the students that girls and boys can both do anything and that there is no "girl job" and "boy job".